Thursday, January 20, 2011

Starting Over, and over, and over

I started a new project yesterday. Actually, I started a new project for a third time yesterday.

It's a pattern that I designed, hard to explain but it involves stylized flowers and bright colored borders behind the flowers. Flowers you say, incredulously? Yes, dammit, I am a delicate and fragile flower myself...Bwaaahaaahhaaaa, I tried to say that with a straight face, I just couldn't do it.

The fact that I designed it means it doomed to starts and stops and color changes as I go.  By the time I'm done with it, it may not look like anything like the pattern I started with. 

My first start–after getting about a fifth of it done–I decided I didn't like the fabric it was on, got disgusted and put it in the "basket of the ostracized projects". Those projects are not allowed to play with the good projects, they would be a bad influence, the stitching equivilent of smoking under the bleachers.

A thought just occurred to me as I was picturing the previous sentence, this must be why all my friends look at me furtively, they're waiting to see what bizarre tangent I'll take. I'm not really crazy.

The second start–almost 2 years after the first start–I didn't like the colors anymore, the design needed to have bright, summery colors, not the ones I started with. The ply was wrong too, should have gone with single ply thread.

So, this is my third start of the same project. Right colors, right fabric.

I think.



No comments: