Monday, January 24, 2011

Sewing in Straight Lines

I have a sewing machine. It lives in my basement closet, and I've used it 4 times in 2 years.

For as much as I love to cross stitch, I HATE sewing. When I was about 13, my mom struggled to teach me how to use her sewing machine. She didn't struggle when she used it, she ran that thing like a pro. Sewed almost all of mine and my sisters clothes when we were little. No, what she struggled with was me and my lack of sewing talent. It's that eye/hand coordination thing, I suck at video games too, so much so that boybat asks me to leave the room when he and Joe play Wii. I have great eye/hand coordination when its something that doesn't piss me off so bad that I go temporarily insane and scare the cat, like...uummm...well, I'll think of something.

When I started working for Debbie Mumm, I got another sewing bug. I figured, what the hell, I was older, wiser and more patient, right? I worked there as a watercolor artist and a graphic designer, next to me were the quilters. They made sewing look as easy as burning toast. Joe, after much prodding from me, got me a sewing machine that year for Christmas. Even with experts to help me, I never got past being able to sew a straight line. Don't get me wrong, I sew a wicked straight line (kinda like my knitting, I can knit the hell out of squares). 

Nowadays, I get that machine out to serge the edges of the linen for my stitch projects. Yesterday, I felt adventurous and sewed Boybat's Boy Scout badges on his uniform–the fabric glue I had been using was wearing off. I like fabric glue, doesn't work very well, but I like it. The time before that was a year ago to hem some of boybat's school pants.

I have recognized my lack of sewing skills and have come to peace with it.

Know anyone who will sew Boy Scout badges on a uniform for me?

No comments: